Bin-Blog logoBin-Blog

Learn about the latest in Web Development – as soon as I do.

Quizzin WordPress Plugin for Quiz Creation

By • Nov 22nd, 2008 • Category: Blogging, Scripts, WordPress

WordPress Plugin Week

Welcome to Plugin week – in Plugin week, I release a new WordPress Plugin each day, every day for one week. This is the sixth (and final) plugin in that series. The plugins released so far are…

Note 1: Quzzin is a beta plugin(as are most of the plugins released in the Plugin Week) – so watch out for bugs. And trust me, there will be quite a few.

Installation

• Download the zipped file.
  • Extract and upload the folder to /wp-contents/plugins/ folder
  • Go to the Plugin management page of WordPress admin section and enable the Quizzin plugin
  • Go to the Quizzin Management page(Tools > Manage Quiz) to create or edit Quizzes
  • After creating the quiz, create a new post and add the HTML comment [QUIZZIN 1] in it. Here the ‘1’ should be the ID of the quiz to be inserted.

Usin’ Quizzin Plugin

This plugin is pretty straight forward – after enabling the plugin, go to the Manage Quiz page(Manage > Manage Quiz). All the existing quizzes will be show here. You also have the option of creating a new quiz – or editing an existing one.

Quizzin WordPress Plugin - Manage

Click on the ‘Create new Quiz’ link to create a new quiz – you have to fill in three fields – the quiz name, the description and the Final Screen.

Quizzin WordPress Plugin - Create

The ‘Final screen’ field is very important – you can customize the result of the quiz using this. Basically, what you fill in here will be shown when a user completes the quiz. You can use several variables here. For example, if you put in the text ‘%%SCORE%%’, it will be replaced by the score the user got in the quiz.

The other possible variables are…

Variable Value
%%SCORE%% The number of correct answers
%%TOTAL%% Total number of questions
%%PERCENTAGE%% Correct answer percentage
%%GRADE%% 1-10 value. 1 is 10% or less, 2 is 20% or less, and so on.
%%WRONG_ANSWERS%% Number of answers you got wrong
%%RATING%% A rating of your performance – it could be ‘Failed'(0-39%), ‘Just Passed'(40%-50%), ‘Satisfactory’, ‘Competent’, ‘Good’, ‘Excellent’ and ‘Unbeatable'(100%)
%%QUIZ_NAME%% The name of the quiz
%%DESCRIPTION%% The text entered in the description field.

Once you have filled out this form, you will be taken to the next page where you can manage your questions. Click on the ‘Create new Question’ to add your questions and answers. You have to select one of the answers as the correct one.

Quizzin WordPress Plugin - New Question

Quizzin WordPress Plugin - Mange Questions in Quiz

After you have added all the question, create a new post and add the HTML comment [QUIZZIN 1] – here the 1 should be the ID of the quiz to be inserted. That’s it – you should have a working quiz on your blog now.

See it in Action

I have created a WordPress Quiz using the Quizzin plugin. Lets see how well you know wordpress. If you take the quiz, post your results in the comments field.

Credits

Thanks to ‘The’ Anand for suggesting the idea of a Quiz plugin. Also, Mani Karthik provided a lot of encouragement to create the plugin.

As a matter of fact, Quizzin is the first plugin in the plugin week series. When those two suggested the Quiz plugin, my lazy brain immediately saw the benefits – I get 3 plugins for the price of one. Once the quiz plugin is created, just remove the correct answer option, limit the question to just one and record the answers – and you have a Poll plugin. To create a survey plugin, just remove the correct answer option and record the user’s input. You also need to create a interface to show the results. Voila – you have a survey plugin. That’s right – the Pollin Plugin and Surveys plugin are based on the Quizzin Plugin.

The eventr plugin was created for the Barcamp Kerala. Again, the credit for its suggestion goes to Anand. After that plugin was ready, I am sitting on four unreleased plugins(that is, two plugins and an idea for two more) – that’s when the thought of doing a plugin week hit me. The rest, as they say, is history.

Feedback

If you have any suggestions or notice any problems with the Quizzin WordPress plugin, post it in the Quizzin forum.

That’s it! Plugin week is over. 6 days, 6 plugins. Now, I have to go catch up on some much needed sleep. Happy Blogging!

135 Responses »

1. […] WordPress Quiz is a demo for my Quizzin WordPress Plugin […]

2. […] Quizzin WordPress Plugin – Quizzin WordPress Plugin lets you add quizzes to your blog. This plugin is designed to be as easy to use as possible. Quizzes, questions and answers can be added from the admin side. This will appear in your post if you add a small HTML comment in your post. […]

3. This quiz will test your wordpress knowledge. 10 questions it total…

Congratulations – you have completed WordPress Quiz. You scored 10 out of 10. Your performance have been rated as ‘Unbeatable’

WOW. I’m an expert !! :P

4. […] es la que se acaba de publicar en Binb-Blog en donde se incluyen plugins para crear cuestionarios, pruebas cortas y […]

5. […] Quizzin WordPress Plugin […]

6. sevelina says:

Is it works with WordPress 2.7 ?
    I have tried to install, but I can’t see link to create Quiz :(((

7. Binny V A says:

@sevelina
    I am working on the 2.7 compatable version of the plugin – it will be ready “soon”.

• Sarah Fauset says:

I tried the quiz but how do you upload a photo? I am using 2.8 and it is not working. Does this plugin take images?

• Binny V A says:

You can add an image into the question part easily – it uses the standard editor. To add a image into the answer field, you have to know HTML. But its possible.

8. sevelina says:

@Binny V A
    ok, cool! I’ll be waiting.
    Thanks!

9. Lunefield says:

Hi. I wonder if you have plans to extend the plugin in the future, to provide individual question feedback, add different question types, and allow users to compare their answers against the correct answers. This is very good as far as it goes, and it would be great if it went further. An area where few have ventured so far.

10. Binny V A says:

@Lunefield
    I have added the following features to the latest version…
    – provide individual question feedback
    – allow users to compare their answers against the correct answers

The latest version has not been released yet, but if you are interested in testing it, you can get it from http://projects.binnyva.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45&p=234

11. NiMaL says:

I’m trying out the latest version. But still its not working on my 2.7.
    When I try to save a quiz after giving description, it throws a 500 error.

12. Binny V A says:

@NiMaL
    Get the very latest(not published yet) version from here…

Let me know how it goes.

13. Greg Butler says:

This worked so much better than expected. I love the fact that you can give an explanation about the correct answers. I also like that it marks which questions were answered correctly and which ones were marked incorrectly. I found that to make it look right, I needed to add a little bit of space in front of each possible answer.

Thanks for doing such a great job on this plugin.

14. Dee says:

I took the quiz, this is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!!

15. Jonathan says:

It works great, and was just what I was looking for, thank you so much!

16. shashank(ksbnok) says:

Hi binny, I just stumbled over your blog searching for “how to use wordpress for creating a quiz”,am a friend of Mani Karthik..I just wanna say thanx to you coz after hours & hours of searching I found the right page on the internet & I just donno how to say thanx to you for this post n for this plugin Am going to set up a quiz on this coming tuesday it will be taken by my 2000 clg friends & I think am going to use ur plugin but can u say on which wp ver it will work coz its not compatible with 2.7 also it will be great for us if u guide us how we can setup that kind of quiz on lan network coz the quiz is going to take place on lan & also 1 important thing how to declare a final merit list of the top few players after all have finished the quiz so that we can distribute them prizes

your help will be really appreciated

& we will credit you & your plugin infront of our 2000 college friends
    with proper respect & screenshots of your website’s home page…coz it would not have been possible without your plugin.Trust me…thanx in advance…may GOD BLESS YOU!!

reply as soon as possible on my mail ID
    dont forget quiz is going to happen this tuesday i.e 7-4-09

17. shashank(ksbnok) says:

I checked your plugin on old WP versions its working awesome and must tell you it is something that can be called as cool..

so the only problem I have now:

1.How to create a merit list of let say top 10 players.

2.How to set -1 for each wrong answer(“well I think it can be done after seeing your source code”)

3.Is it possible to create a login type of page per user who is going to take the quiz.
    I mean a welcome page consisting of
    username=”collegeid of the student”
    password=”any default password set by us”
    which will be used by the server to identify the winner.

4.wont there be a problem when simultaneously let say 10 people are opening the quiz page on their browser n taking up the quiz.will quiz work fine for everybody?

5. Am planning to set few systems as severs & installing wordpress locally in them & will be serving the quiz page from that server to every terminal.

Plz reply soon buddy, now our team depending on you!
    if you do this you will help 1000 of us,reply soon.
    & also mail me ur gtalk id.

Shashank Shekhar (Tyro President)
    SRMSCET, Bareilly.

18. Greg says:

Hi

I am trying to configure this plugin but am having some small problems. I have enabled the Admin over SSL function in the wp-config.php and the Quizzin plugin does not seem to work. I am able to enable the plugin, and then open the “create quiz” page but when I click the create quiz button it sends me to the login page.

The browser is switching from HTTPS to HTTP so I suspect that there might be an absolute reference in the code. I will try to have a poke around, but since you are most familiar I am hoping that you can go “oh yeah, I know where that is”.

Thanks for your great plug-in, I am keen to get this working!

greg

• Greg says:

I found some information at http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=10130.

The problem is caused by the use of “get_option(‘siteurl’)” in wp_frame.php.

“I had a similar problem using lyceum (which is based on WordPress) so I did the following. I added the following filters to wp-includes/default-filters:

add_filter(‘option_siteurl’, ‘convert_https’);
      add_filter(‘option_home’, ‘convert_https’);

and the following function to wp-includes/functions-formatting.php:

function convert_https($text) {
      return str_replace(“http://”, “https://”, $text);
      }”

19. […] Quiz! April 5th, 2009Navision, Quiz Just found a new plug-in for WordPress – Quizzin. It lets you add quizzes to you blogs.So why not test it! Just for fun, have I made a little quiz […]

20. Orhan says:

I want to translate to Turkish this plugin. Can you put in this page or e-mail me default.po file for Quizzin?

21. Hi Binny,
    Thanks a lot.
    I’ve translated your plugin localization file. But it wasn’t worked. Because, your quizzin.php file isn’t usable for local strings. In this case, i’ve added to top lines of your quizzin.php load_plugin_textdomain('quizzin', "/wp-content/plugins/quizzin/"); .And it worked.
    Although, I’ve added Quizzin Settings page lines to (on blog’s admin page) your po file.
    And, I’ve edited questions apperance in quiz page on blog. It’s bold now.
    Everything tested and everything OK. now.

Your plugin is localizable for all languages with quizzin.po file. If anyone wants to translate to own language, you can send this quizzin.po file. It’s editable with Poedit. http://www.poedit.net/

I’m sending edited plugin files with English/Turkish .po and .mo files to you. Thank you for your plugin. Greetings from Turkey.

Dr. Orhan BESIROGLU
    Manyas/BALIKESIR – Turkey

P.S. You can download latest po file here:

22. Wer wird mein Quizmaster – Die Quiz-Plugin-Suche…

Heute habe ich mich entschlossen, mal ein Quiz online zu stellen. Ich werde versuchen, mal ein paar verschiedene Plugins von WordPress zu beleuchten und diese auf ihre Tauglichkeit zu überprüfen. Neben einem Beispiel findet ihr auch den Downloadlink….

23. Bob says:

Just installed in wpmu 2.7, and mostly works, except the final summary which is supposed to show the correct answers, your answers differently does not. I just see all the answers with an arrow icon next to each, and no background color difference.

Also, even with 1 question, the Next button appears, but does nothing, of course.

24. CaPunG says:

how to backup the question data…
    thanks… :)

25. Luke says:

I have been trying out your quiz plugin and it is just great. Simple to use and easy to implement. Thank you.

I was curious if there were a way email the quiz results to one or more people. Would you consider adding this functionality? I will start looking through the code but I am not an expert with php. If you could point me in the right direction it would be wonderful.

26. Luke says:

If you would be able to develop the changes I mentioned before for a fee let me know how much that would be. Thanks,

Luke

27. Ravi says:

I tried to install it on my blog but when I try to access quiz.php under wp-admin directory, I am getting following error.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_option() in /home/microsp7/public_html/commerceserver/wp-admin/quizzin/wpframe.php on line 7

Did anyone fixed this problem? It is good to have more elaborate installation document.

28. CaPunG says:

how can i create or insert a picture on answer box :)
    thanks again… :p

29. patembe says:

hello Mr.Binny

your plugins is great, I’m very interested. I have downloaded it. :D if you don’t mind, my suggestion is how about to the next version, you put additional information that show the administrator who take the quiz or my be the person who wants to take the quiz must enter the name, email, etc. firstly :lol:

Best Regards,

30. Jaggi says:

Nice work, is there any similar plug-in available for phpbb3?

31. Hi Binny,
    I was looking for a quizz plugin to install on my wp blog and just found out your plugin which is great !
    Just one suggestion if i may, would be to make sure to reset the answers once someone has submitted them to get the score; otherwise through several itireration anyone can get to the max. score.
    Thanks again

32. Hi,

thanks for this nice plugin.

I had to translate it in German.
    Do you want to have the German-Files?

Here’s my Quiz: http://blog.stevieswebsite.de/2009/07/quiz-entwickler-akurzung/

33. ok, you’ll get an email from me tomorrow

34. Onreviews says:

with wp 2.8.1 permission .. always denied

35. bill says:

Any tips on getting a quiz to print out with the X’s and Check’s?
    tried adding @media print with list-style-image: url(wrong.jpg);
    without any luck.

36. wordpress-user says:

Anonymous at 23 Aug, 2009 12:19
    Quizzin Version 1.01.3 is the ONLY thing that breaks VALIDATION on my website. Anyone have a FIX?

*******
    *******
    Line 158, Column 136: document type does not allow element “link” here

…content/plugins/quizzin/style.css” />

?

The element named above was found in a context where it is not allowed. This could mean that you have incorrectly nested elements — such as a “style” element in the “body” section instead of inside “head” — or two elements that overlap (which is not allowed).

One common cause for this error is the use of XHTML syntax in HTML documents. Due to HTML’s rules of implicitly closed elements, this error can create cascading effects. For instance, using XHTML’s “self-closing” tags for “meta” and “link” in the “head” section of a HTML document may cause the parser to infer the end of the “head” section and the beginning of the “body” section (where “link” and “meta” are not allowed; hence the reported error).

*******
    *******
    Line 162, Column 24: document type does not allow element “div” here; missing one of “object”, “applet”, “map”, “iframe”, “button”, “ins”, “del” start-tag

?

The mentioned element is not allowed to appear in the context in which you’ve placed it; the other mentioned elements are the only ones that are both allowed there and can contain the element mentioned. This might mean that you need a containing element, or possibly that you’ve forgotten to close a previous element.

One possible cause for this message is that you have attempted to put a block-level element (such as ”

” or “”) inside an inline element (such as “”, “”, or “”).

37. Richard says:

With wp 2.8.1 permission. Always denied [2]

” The plugin does not have a valid header.”

38. Wil says:

Yep, I had that problem, too. WordPress returned an error : “The plugin does not have a valid header.” when I tried to install it on 2.8.4

Is there a fix for this?

39. Same error as others – “The plugin does not have a valid header.” Thoughts?

40. OK, so I worked out the problem. It’s not with the plug-in at all. It seems like the automatic installer in the current version of WordPress is playing up a little. Just install the plugin manually and it works fine.

41. notokord says:

WordPress 2.8.4
    When I try to create a quiz it says:
    You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.

What should I do? help…

42. elle says:

I’m having the same problem in WordPress 2.8.4

I have installed the plugin but when I try to add a quiz I get the error:
    “You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.” even though I am logged in as admin.

Can anyone help?

43. Sports Picks says:

I’ve also found that a simple manual install fixes any problems I was having.

44. Jeff says:

Same WordPress 2.8.4 problem “You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.”
    I’m getting the same error after a manual install.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

45. I really want the plugin dislplay random quiz when refreshing the page. Could you add this ability ?